Sunday, April 2, 2006

Rerun, SCRAP, sewing, crochet, Battlestar Galactica, and croquet!


Rerun
707 NE Fremont St(503) 517-3786
"A neighborhood consignment store"closed Tuesdays

This is a great little second-hand store that opened in my hood months ago. It used to be this other great place called Mrs. C.'s wigs, but the wig craze in Portland just isn't waht it used to be. Rerun had great fabric scraps waiting for me this weekend as I got started on a new project of the ladies in my friend group- making personalized bibs for everyone for Easter. Pictures coming... Every year my friends get together for the most indulgent and ridiculous feast of heart-stopping food, liquor, and unmentionable etc.s on Easter. No belt is buckled by the end of the day, and we usually end up taking a group nap on the floor while something soothing like Yo La Tengo plays quietly. I'll be submitting pix, and maybe a few recipes, too. We got started on the bibs Friday at Shannon & Bill's house. Shannon and Kim also made the first in a series of four roman blinds for Shannon's bedroom.
On Saturday we visited Greg and Walt at Westmoreland where they were embroiled in the bitter battles of a croquet tournament. They were kicking some senior ass, even while it was raining. Michael and I were both pretty cranky because we stayed up until 4 or 5 am (neither of us is quite sure which) watching the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries/season 1 which came into my hold account at the library. Oh my god! This show is very good. Most of my weekend was actually devoured by it. It was good on a drama level, not just a sci-fi nerd level. It was very intense- especially the miniseries part. Saturday night we watched more episodes and I finally finished both America bags and crocheted yet another cupcake.
Sunday, Kim, Annie and I started with brunch at Colleen's on Burnside. I highly recommend this little spot for any food they make! I had crumpets with a poached egg & bechamel with salad greens and some of the best coffee I've had in a long time. We strolled/rolled up to Hippo Hardware and ooohed and ahhhed over the various fixtures and really lost ourselves in the lighting. After finally escaping that wonderland, we hopped over to SCRAP (which you know I love with my whole heart) and I got some memory foam with the hopes of making some pillows with.
We then explored Pattie's Homeplate in St John's and the NoPo Goodwill. We got a bunch of random things including knitting needles for $1, a lamb-shaped cake mold for $2, a chips and dip bowl-set from the 1960's with an astrlogical theme, and a crocheted baby's outfit to take home and put on the cats. Anneliese and I were laughing so hard I cried while we were sorting through baby clothes for the cats. After settling on the two-piece crochet #, we took it home and tried it on her sweet, sweet Mr. Jefferson. He was purring until it came to the pants part. I think I will just do the cardigan with Iggy, and not by myself. I really wanted to get a dress for him, and Anneliese found a onesie that said "Kiss me, I'm Irish" that made me hysterical when I pictured it on him, but I think it's best to not push him past a cardigan for now. My old wounds just healed. We're going to put all 3 of Kim & Phil's cats in the outfit at the same time if we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

superphoebe