Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Portland Gym Search is Over

bacon_n_eggsImage by superphoebe via FlickrSo, I used to have a bunch of health problems. Basically, I think that high stress, a bad diet, and a lifetime of sleep problems manifested as all kinds of mess from pancreatic issues to fibromyalgia to even being misdiagnosed with MS!

My only real problems that remain are annoying allergies to just about anything indoors and outdoors as well as food allergies to poultry and eggs. These things are controlled well by allergy pills and avoiding poultry and egg, so everything is pretty hunky dory.

I got on the road to wellness by getting care at Nature Cures clinic in Portland. They are seriously the only ones that ever helped me make lasting changes in my health and comfort. My treatment worked so well that I went from testing horribly to having textbook perfect results on my bloodwork at the UW medical center. It was there that the Doctor said, "Well, you're really very healthy. Just fat- that's really the only thing you have left." (OK, he probavbly didn't use the word "fat," but whatever...) And, sadly, or happily, this is true.

So, with a new-found spring in my step, I embark on my next health journey: fitness! It's true that I've put on a buncha weight since moving back to Portland, but that is really just the physical evidence of poor cardiovascular health and overall fitness resulting from too much computer sitting, a poor diet, and not enough running around and getting awesome on a physical level. Work & graduate school are my ass' enemy.

I have spent the last month investigating gyms in the Portland area to see where I will be getting awesome on a physical level. After much deliberating and comparison, I have chosen the big, somewhat douchey 24 hr Fitness in the Pearl. Why? Well, it came down to locations/convenience, a saltwater pool, price, and the personal trainer I met- Lea.

I plan to continue with at least one more blog post, maybe upload my little spreadsheet to compare and contrast Portland gyms for anyone interested, but I would also love to hear from y'all about your gyms and your workout preferences in the comments.

Do you use a gym?

Which one?

What is your favorite workout?

Do you use/have you used a personal trainer?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

superphoebe