This year, I'd already had my fill of impossibly delicious apple pie just a couple of days before Thanksgiving, so I decided to mix it up with these yummy cupcakes. I modified the following from the wonderful cookbook Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but this recipe is not vegan. it is just a seriously fantastic cake cookbook for vegans, veggies, and everyone alike.
Here's the recipe for 24 cupcakes (because we go to a 20+ person dinner each year!):
2 cups or 1 can pumpkin
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk (or soy milk)
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 or 2 teaspoons cinnamon (to taste)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 oz heavy whipping cream
a spoonful or more- to taste powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon or just a dash vanilla
4 oz cream cheese
CAKE DIRECTIONS (so easy!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f, and line muffin pans with papers.
- Stir pumpkin, oil, sugar, milk, and vanilla together in one bowl, and sift the dry ingredients- flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a second bowl.
- Stir both mixes together gently with a spatula or fork. Don't use a hand blender, as it will make the batter gross and gummy, and the cake will be hard and all yuck-city.
- Fill each cupcake paper about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Bake for 20-24 mins depending on your oven/etc. Check with a toothpick to make sure they are baked through, then cool on a wire rack.
- Blend together the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla for a very, very long time with an electric mixer until it is very thick and tastes good but maybe a tad too sweet.
- Add cream cheese and blend even more until it is perfectly smooth and blended and fluffy.
- Put it in a pastry bag, or pack into a sandwich bag and snip off one corner to create a pastry bag. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes once they are completely cool, and sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on top.