Montea is no fool when it comes to good fruit, and peaches are probably her favorite of all time!
But, she is also eating about the same as I am- grain-free, refined sugar-free, hippie and clean. So, some special birthday treats would take some doing.
First, I decided to give this delightful recipe for homemade frozen yogurt a try: Neo-Homesteading: Peach & Sour Cream Frozen Yogurt
The flavor is just ridiculously awesome! The sour mixes so well with the peach, honey and cardamom. Making it without an ice cream maker was a lot of work and still yielded a pretty funky texture that works better in an ice-pops mold for sure. It froze more like paletas than frozen yogurt. Also, I added more peaches and would consider just making it with greek yogurt as it's so similar to sour cream anyway.
Next, it was time to make this flavor happen in freezer jam form! I wasn't completely satisfied with any one recipe on the internet, so here's how it went down:
Peach Cardamom Honey Sweetened Freezer Jam (Pectin Free)
- 3+ cups of fresh peaches
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- Mash up the peaches with a food processor, mixer or by hand. You could cut a little bit of one peach into chunks for that chunky whole fruit look also.
- Bring the fruit to a simmer in a saucepan, allowing it to cook down. As it becomes more liquid, whisk the tapioca starch into the fruit vigorously until it completely dissolves. Add 1 TBLSPN of the lemon, the zest, cardamom and all the honey. Stir well to combine. Continue to simmer the mixture for about 15-25 min; stirring every once in awhile to keep in from burning.
- Once the jam is hot enough, thick enough, and sticky enough, remove from heat. Stir in the lemon juice and let cool.
- If the jam is too thick for your liking, just add a little more water or lemon juice to the mixture.Taste it hot to see what you think of the flavor, and add more of whatever you like!
We also made this amazing grain-free, egg-free brownie as a cake- IT IS SO GOOD!